Entrepreneur Ashley created the brand 1st Kings Apparel that celebrates God by infusing popular quotes and song lyrics to create a stylish tee. We talked to Ashley about her vision behind her brand and her nonprofit foundation.
1. Being that you are a Christian who is not ashamed to share your story to encourage others, describe that moment in your life when you were reading 1st Kings chapter 13 for the first time.
The first time I was reading 1st Kings chapter 13, I was thirsting for more of God and his wisdom. When I read the part of the prophet dying from disobeying God, the gravity of the situation hit me so hard. God requires obedience. I thank God everyday for his mercy because I know I’m not perfect and there are days in which I don’t follow everything to the T.
2. Besides the word of God, what else inspired you to start your own business? Was the family support there?
I am a daddy’s girl and my dad is an entrepreneur. He supports me in all I do and give me counseling when I’m making decisions. I love the challenge that entrepreneurship offers. It keeps me learning and growing.
3. What’s the one design you were excited about the most when you started producing your line?
The one design that I was excited about the most, I actually haven’t debuted it. It’s a bold statement that perhaps wouldn’t be understood at first. As my brand grows, I’ll release that design.
4. Do you feel that you are the only business owner truly stepping up to the plate as far as Christian clothing design?
I don’t believe that I am the only, but I do contribute my passion and boldness as to why I stand apart. If you look at all my others businesses and organizations I’m apart of, you see what and who I stand for which is Christ. I’m not perfect, but I strive to get his message to the world and share his love.
5. As far as you encouraging others, what’s the one ultimate thing you want people to remember about your life?
I would be honored if people would see me as a mixture of Coretta Scott King and Maya Angelou. Those are two amazing and graceful women. I would love to make a difference in the world, start a movement that continues well past my leaving this earth. One thing I am working in with my nonprofit organization C.L.A.S.S.I.C. is a campaign called #humanitymatters in which the churches and communities unite for a day of prayer and giving back. I would love for everyone to join us Friday, September 23, 2016.
6. What can we expect from 1st Kings Clothing in the near future?
You can expect more bold designs and other apparel outside of t-shirts. Definitely looking forward to creating partnerships to expand the brand.