Danisha Danielle Wrighster’s story of rising from a single mother to a multi-millionaire and host of #OWNSHOW will inspire anyone to push through adversity. Danisha spoke with SHEEN about her journey, her current role on OWN and what it takes to become a self-made millionaire.
How did you go from being a single mother to the CEO of your company?
I was born and raised in Los Angeles and I attended UCLA when I was 16 years old. I graduated with a degree in Communications and a specialization in Business and Administration. I started working at a commercial real estate company as an accountant and I saw the huge checks that were given to brokers and I became interested in the business. I started applying and studying for my license when I found out I was pregnant unexpectedly. I finished getting my license but during my pregnancy, my daughter’s father was diagnosed with cancer and he died when she was 10 weeks old. I was in a really bad place, as you can probably imagine. I started working at a real estate company as a broker which was against all of the advice of everyone around me, but I did it and it worked out because I was able to make a great living from it.
What advice would you give someone who may be feeling like giving up on something they really want?
Well, I think if you give up then you are choosing to lose. You have automatically taken yourself out of the game. If you want to win and get somewhere, at some point you are going to have to take a risk and try and possibly fail. The thing about failure is that it is a part of success. The most successful people in the world fail, but they don’t look at it as the end, they look at it as an opportunity to shift.
You were a judge on “Home Free” this past summer, can you tell about the show?
The show is on FOX television where nine couples are competing to win a dream home. They are doing self projects on distressed homes and they are doing huge renovations with the help of Mike Holmes and his team. Each week somebody is eliminated and I come in as a real estate judge and help Mike make a decision on who gets eliminated. On most other shows when someone gets eliminated they lose, go home and they don’t win. Well, on this show everybody wins because each home that gets renovated the couple that is eliminated wins
How did you become involved with OWN and as the host of Oprah Winfrey’s #OWNShow?
I love all things Oprah, I subscribed to her channel, website and social media religiously. I had a really great opportunity to audition for the show. We had a 6 month testing process and it worked out. I have the opportunity to interview Oprah’s magazine expert, home personalities and guest who appear on the network, and some of her favorite authors etc. The show gives tips on how to live your best life.
What are 5 tips for someone who would like become a self-made millionaire?
1. Everything starts with vision, even if your vision right now can’t be huge and grand. Starting from where you are to where you want to go next week or within a month, that is one step and when you start growing your vision will start growing.
2. Get a mentor in whatever field or industry you are most interested in. Have someone you can ask certain questions, because you don’t know, what you don’t know. Everybody needs a mentor.
3. Take a look at your “parking brake”. What I mean by that is, there are certain things about us like our personality, how we feel about ourselves and what we want that stop us from achieving more. Whether it is procrastinating, feeling a lack of self worth or unhealthy attitudes towards money. A big thing is you should really take a look at your “parking brake”, because there is no point in just grinding, grinding, grinding and just burning your brakes out.
4. Another thing I would do is know that at some point you are going to have to take a risk. That is what stops most people, is they are not ready to take a risk.
5. Ask God to help you. Not everybody believes in God but my faith in God has helped me through the toughest times. I believe whatever that time is, if you lean on that and you keep putting one foot in front of the other, you will find a way to become successful.
You can catch Danisha on #OWNShow on OWN and on her website at danishadanielle.com.