Every black woman with natural tresses, whether kinky, curly or coily, has a hair story. It’s a real-life tale that transcends continents, symbolizes powerful heritage, and represents inner strength and spectacular beauty.
My Black is Beautiful has teamed up with the #1 celebrity natural hair guru Felicia Leatherwood to launch the #HairTruth campaign. This campaign celebrates natural hair and educates Black women on natural hair techniques and healthy hair maintenance with such brands – Pantene, Head & Shoulders, Herbal Essences and Aussie. I had the opportunity to speak with Felicia about how women can celebrate their hair truth.
What is your hair truth?
My hair truth is that I’m uniquely made and have my own individual look and confidence with my hair.
Why did you decide to be a part of this campaign with My Black is Beautiful?
You can’t help but want to be a part of the My Black is Beautiful’s hair truth campaign, because the title says it all. This is an empowering campaign that speaks to women of color all over the world about their journey with their hair and understanding how to care for it.
How can women find their hair truth?
By being honest about how they feel about their hair and about what they know and do not know about products and styling.
Do you think women of color celebrate their hair enough?
I think that women of color are starting to celebrate their kinks, curls and waves more, due to the natural hair movement.
If not, what can women of color do to celebrate their hair more?
Women all over, can join the My Black is Beautiful community! My Black is Beautiful’s #hairtruth campaign empowers and encourages black women to share their story about some of the hair challenges they’re faced with, and how to overcome them. My Black is Beautiful released a set of informative videos with tips and tricks on how to style and maintain healthy hair, so I suggest women check out the videos to see if she can identify with some of the issues. This way, women can learn how to improve their hair’s health, and be educated on the best products on the market. Products such as Pantene Expert Collection, Aussie Moist, Head & Shoulders or Herbal Essences, can really make a difference in her hair care and styling experiences because they add so much moisture and conditioning.
What are some general hair care tips for women on the go?
- Develop a regimen, one that you can keep and that your hair understands and likes. It’s important to be consistent with your regimen.
- Be sure to deep condition with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration for 20-30 min. twice a month with plastic cap or steamer.
- If you have dandruff or dry scalp, recommend using Head & Shoulders Co-wash treatment and scalp booster to improve the health of your scalp and keep your hair soft and manageable.
- When dealing with summer hair, split ends and super dehydrated hair, try Aussie 3 Minute Miracle to strengthen the cuticles of your hair
- If you wear your hair straight, the Pantene Expert Collection is perfect for rebuilding your hair – because it can target the damaged portions of your strands for stronger, healthier hair that doesn’t break when straightening.
- Finally, “LOVE THE HAIR YOU’RE WERE BORN WITH AND IT WILL LOVE YOU BACK!” Let this be every woman’s Hair Truth!
For information on the The Hair Truth campaign,visit their Youtube channel youtube.com/MBIBVIDEO