In the era of COVID-19, and the ongoing discussions about the upcoming election, it’s nice to hear some positive news going on in the world. McDonald’s expansion of its HBCU platform through its Black & Positively Golden movement. The expansion is a part of the brand’s continued efforts to further invest in the next generation of community leaders to help them take steps today to own tomorrow. This month, the brand launched programs – in partnership with ESSENCE Girls United, the Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) and iHeartMedia – to support HBCU students and alumni, as well as Black women entrepreneurs.
Building on the momentum of McDonald’s first-ever $500,000 Black & Positively Golden HBCU Scholarship Fund, this is just one of the many ways the company continues its longstanding commitment to supporting and uplifting the Black community.
A snapshot of these exciting programs includes:
- The “Making Moves Now” Virtual Pitch Competition, which took place this past Saturday, October 10. McDonald’s awarded two winners each with $10,000 in seed capital to help jumpstart or grow their businesses.
- Through McDonald’s Black & Positively Golden Scholarship Fund, the company was able to give 34 of America’s brightest HBCU students each a $15,000 scholarship, facilitated by TMCF. McDonald’s also surprised each winner with a delivery of a tablet, school supplies and a special congratulatory video, featuring notable HBCU alums including Terrence J, Ashley Blaine Featherson, KJ Smith, Quad Webb and David Banner. See the heartwarming video here.
- McDonald’s will also partner with iHeartMedia to host an uplifting month-long HBCU homecoming celebration. Culminating on November 12 with a live virtual event, the celebration will bring together HBCU students and alumni with their favorite musical artists, influencers and entertainment.
McDonald’s is also starting Wednesday, October 28, bringing three new, sweet additions to its core U.S. menu. Introducing… the new McCafé Bakery lineup:
- Apple Fritter: A classic fritter made with cinnamon and apples, fried to a golden brown and drizzled with a sweet glaze icing.
- Blueberry Muffin: A soft & fluffy muffin baked with real blueberries and topped with a streusel crumb topping.
- Cinnamon Roll: Loaded with cinnamon layered between buttery, flaky pastry dough that is drizzled with a delicious cream cheese icing. Served warm, the aroma alone sparks a craving for the next decadent bite.
- The best part? All three of these new menu items will be available all day to pair with classic McCafe coffee options or enjoy as a solo treat.
Featured Image by Burrell Communications