Thinking about going vegetarian?
Please do not stress the idea of missing out on the delicious meat, seafood, diary, or fast food options. Honestly, once you start and continue the vegetarian journey you won’t even remember those things of the past.
The vegetarian lifestyle has a variety of food options depending on your diet. Based on our research, many vegetarians avoid eating meat, seafood, and dairy products with the exception of eggs. We don’t think you will get penalized for eating eggs since it is protein!
To make your transition easier we have a list of recommended food items that include fats, protein, fiber, and vitamins.
Here is a list of some food items from Healthline:
Fruits- Apples, oranges, bananas, and cranberries
Vegetables- Asparagus, Broccoli, and Leafy greens like spinach and kale
Grains- Quinoa, brown rice, and oats
Legumes- Lentils, chickpeas, and beans
Proteins- Tofu, tempeh, spirulina, and soy
Nuts- Almonds, walnuts, and chestnuts
For more information, click here!
Now, let’s begin your delicious vegetarian lifestyle with this yummy recipe for Vegan Nachos from Sweet Potato Soul.
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
¼ yellow onion, minced
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 package of Simple Truth Emerge plant-based grind or similar
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 bag tortilla chips
1½ cups kidney beans, or 1 15-oz can drained and rinsed
1-2 ripe avocados, diced
½ cup salsa + more to taste
¼ cup Simple Truth vegan sour cream + more to taste
1 jalapeño pepper, sliced (seeds removed for less spice)
½ cup chopped cilantro
1 lime, halved
salt to taste
- Warm the oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cumin seeds, and toast another 1 minute.
- Add the plant based “meat”, and use the spatula to break a part and stir.
- Sprinkle on the smoked paprika and cook for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. It should darken and firm. It might still look a bit red, especially from the paprika, but it will continue to darken as it cools.
- Place the tortillas in a baking dish or serving platter, then top with the ground “meat”, kidney beans, avocado, salsa, sour cream, jalapeño, and cilantro.
- Squeeze half of the lime onto the nachos, and season with salt to taste.
- Garnish with slices of the other half of the lime.