“You can have whatever you want in this life. You just have to reach for it” – Keisha Frazier
I love to mix up cardio and weights! Cardio is great for heart health and strength training helps build curves and muscle definition.
You’ll need a moderate (12 – 20 lbs) and heavy set of dumbbells (25+ lbs) – choose a weight that is challenging by the last two reps!
WARM-UP (5 minutes): you can use the treadmill, Stairmaster or elliptical for this – you’re just looking to get the blood flowing and prepare your body for exercise.
- Skull Crusher x 10 (light dumbbells)
- Stability Ball Ham Curl x 10
- Renegade Row x 10 total (light dumbbells)
- Squat Curl Press x 10 (light dumbbells)
- Mountain Climber x 20 total
- Side Step-up x 10 each side (heavy dumbbells)
- Side Plank Hip Dip x 10 each side
- Burpees x 10
- Lateral Raise x 8 total (light dumbbells)
COOLDOWN (3 minutes): light stretching.
Orechiette Pasta with Baby Broccoli & Spinach
- 1large bunch of baby broccoli
- 1lb lean chicken sausage, sliced into rounds
- 1tsp olive oil
- 1/2 package of baby spinach
- 5-6cloves garlic, chopped
- 10oz orecchiette pasta, wheat or gluten-free
- 1cup less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Cut baby broccoli in quarters.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. When it comes to a rolling boil, add broccoli.
- Blanch for about 2 minutes, drain and set aside in a colander.
- Re-fill pot with water and salt for the pasta and bring back to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook according to package directions for al dente.
- In a large deep sauté pan, brown sausage on medium heat, breaking up into small pieces as it cooks.
- When completely cooked through set aside in a dish or a bowl.
- Increase heat to medium-high, add olive oil to pan; when hot add garlic and cook until soft and aromatic.
- Add spinach and sautee until wilted
- Return broccoli to the pan, mix well with the garlic and oil, season with salt and pepper and cook about a minute. Return cooked sausage to the pan and mix well.
- Drain pasta and add to the broccoli. Reduce heat and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, parmesan cheese, and red pepper flakes
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste and toss another 30 seconds
- Serve and enjoy!
Founder & CEO | Mind + Body + Balance